Sunday, September 16, 2007

ACL/Wimberley Weekend

Tired. Sore muscles. Don't feel like moving. Worth it? Always.

Friday Amy and I headed over to ACL for the first time in a couple of years. We waited until the last minute, buying tickets on Thursday. After the last time we went, we had not wanted to go until now. (in 2005, a hurricane was hitting the coast and causing major winds in Austin. Combine that with a drought, thousands of people, and dry bermuda grass and you get a dust cloud that literally makes you sick). The city now waters the grass in preparation and weather this year has been generous.

On our way to the festival, we were delayed after a propane tank exploded near a concession area. We could see the black plume of smoke rising to the sky. All in all, it took us almost two hours from when we parked until we finally got inside. Once inside, we grabbed a bite from the Stubs BBQ stand. We tried repeatedly to locate my sister, but as festival goers know, finding people can be hit or miss.

After planting down at the AT&T stage for Joss Stone, we finally connected with Sara and Emily. Brandon, Brock, Sara, Amy, Worth, Clint. Ran into all those cats, too. It was hot as usual, but Amy and I stood with it, comforted by the knowledge that we were not doing the same thing the following day. Suck it up and enjoy the fun was our goal. From there we packed up to go see LCD, a new band for me that I had not heard before. Definitely would like to add some or their music to my library. That's what I love about ACL. I'm guaranteed to walk away having heard a lot of music that I might otherwise have never been exposed too. Once the show wrapped up, we took in a little Queens of the Stone Age before heading back over to the AT&T stage for the rest of Spoon. As usual, Spoon put on a good set, and it was during this time that the worst part of the heat was behind us. There really is nothing you can do about the heat. They added a shade tent this year, among other things, but with the intersecting waves of music at that particular location, it was not an ideal place to chill. Also, apparently they went "green" this year, meaning changing everything from running bio diesel in the generators, to corn based plastics, and yes, no more cans. Made my cooler full of ice for the beer pointless....plastic cups only.
We soon headed out to catch a little of the Reverend Horton Heat show before making it over to the AMD stage for The Killers. By far the best show of the night. Perhaps one of, if not THE best, show I've seen at ACL. They really made the afternoon worthwhile. Towards the end of the set, you could feel the crowd behind you start to shift as many tried to beat the crowds. Amy and I split, and rather than endure the lines for the buses, hiked our happy asses up to 6th and Congress. By the time we got home we were beat. That night we slept soundly.




The next day Amy went off to the spa for a massage, and I headed out to Wimberley to meet Nolan and a friend for a couple rounds of disc golf at the Circle R course.
With that weekend being the last time the place would be open (except for tournaments), we had to endure the heat and throw hard. The first course was very similar to the Slaughter Creek course in regards to the narrow lanes, and tight corners, though not nearly as bad. The 300 yard average more than made up for it. It was an overall "off day" for my game, but set next to these two guys, anyone could look bad. They both throw hard, accurate, and make it look easy. For the first 9 holes, We stayed within a close proximity to the main office, and enjoyed abundant shade from the many trees. This part of the course was well maintained, and before finishing the remaining 9 holes, we had a chance to stop at the trucks to load up on water. The last nine we great. I particularly enjoyed the hole at the dam. crisp clear water flowed over forming a clean pool, about waist deep, right next to the chains. Nolan had sunk his disc, and though he cursed at first, he soon soaked his dogs in the refreshing water.




The next course (18 holes) was miserable. I could safely say that on a cool spring day it would be the bomb, but by the time we started up on that 18, it was high noon and hot as hell. Traversing mostly open hill tops, the holes were long and for the most part, the fairways had not been maintained well. We spent as much time looking for our discs as we did hiking and throwing. I would like to say we finished the second course, but the heat got the best of us and it was time to call it a day. We skipped ahead to the last hole which is a straight downhill run. Easily about two hundred feet in grade change, and about 500' in straight distance. I threw a disk that I had found that day, and as I predicted, it veered a little off course. screw it. peace. I was out. By the time I got home, I was dehydrated, sun burned, and my allergies were making me miserable. After a bite to eat at Cypress Grill, we again called t an early night.

Amy and I woke up the following day and headed off to meet my sister and brother-in-law. We ended up at Maudies for bloody marys and breakfast before dropping them off at ACL. I'm not sure how they made it through all three days, but I guess when you have a break from the kids, you have to make the most of it. It was good to see them. Amy and I really miss having them here in Austin. I guess it's our turn to make the trip. Perhaps this fall? Hopefully. Last chance before the baby comes.

No comments: